Sunday, June 23, 2013

Another Ragnar Race - My Life on the "Trail"...

Crazy race. Crazy people. Crazy race legs!  Van 2 of the team Marsh Family 3.0 ended up with 7 runners--only 3 of the original I had signed up with as several had to drop out due to conflicts which arose after the fact.  

Van 2
We had a late start time so our first runner Michelle didn't run her first leg in Eden until 5:00 pm on Friday!

 Her newly-married daughter Raquel was a first-timer to Ragnar and we were glad she was willing to fill in.  She did great--must have her momma's running genes!

Karen's brother Matt is one of those 100-mile distance runners.  He's amazing!!!!  He could've run every leg our van was responsible for (and he did join some of our runners and do extra for training purposes).  He had an 11+ mile run in the middle of the night and averaged 8 min. miles or less.

Matt 1 handing off to sis Karen.

Karen always runs hard, fast and steady.  Great team member to have and we've done lots of these relays together :D

Raquel's newlywed husband Matt 2 waiting to run his LONG 7+ mile uphill to Snowbasin. (I do have to say it was nice to have guys in our van for a change.  It got me out of all the "yuckky" legs and I actually looked forward to each time I ran!

Matt 2 handing off to me.

The theme for my 3 legs this race was definitely "Trail Running."  My first leg was a little after 8 pm (thus the required headlamp) and I got to run on a trail under a Snowbasin skilift and then back down to the resort--all on a narrow dirt, rock, tree-stumped trail.

Our 2nd legs were all in the dark EXCEPT mine which started at 6:30 am in the Rockport Campground (trail) and ended in Oakley at the Rodeo Grounds.

Our 3rd legs began in Heber and Raquel had to be at work in Provo at 10 am so her cousin Jenni stepped in and ran for her.  Jenni said she's not really a runner so when we asked her how her 4-miler went she said "it was awful."  Thanks for being a trooper Jenni!

The whole team--Vans 1 and 2 (minus Raquel at work and Jenni running her leg)

Michelle getting one of her last "kills" before passing off to Matt 1.

This was probably the funniest moment on the trip.  We were stuck in the Homestead parking lot and needed to get up the Ragnar hill to get Matt 1 so Matt 2 gets out of the van and starts directing traffic.  He held everyone off until our van finally made it up to the front and then he motioned the others on. Hilarious!

We barely made it to drop Karen off for the 2nd half of the Ragnar hill and her brother Matt 1 wanted to continue with her after for more fun after already completing his 4.4 miles of the steep hill!

My last leg and the final leg of the race was a new one they added this year.  Another "trail" run up to the top of the Park City hill, then down the backside on the more narrow dirt trail I've ever run on (10 times worse than Elephant Rock) and then through a beautiful neighborhood into Park City High School.

I'm a little excited to be done.  It was 4:30 pm and I was very hungry and tired.

Thanks Van 2 for a fun and fabulous race!!!


Carin Davis said... are my fitness hero!!! You are a fabulous runner!!!! AND I am amazed that it is blogged already!!!!!!!! Well done!!!!!

Mrs. Organic said...

Amazing as per usual! I love that you do hard things and document them. Inspiring.

Shauna said...

Of course it is blogged already Carin! We wouldn't expect anything less from Alicia! Good job! One day.............

Karen said...

Thanks for putting these pictures up, Alicia! I really had a wonderful time and van mix was awesome! We want to fill van 2 for Red Rock in September, call me:)